Posted December 04, 2018 09:24:10 Bairn residents will not have to worry about the arrival of the blue video site until after Christmas, as a local council is considering a bill to ban it from being broadcast on the air.
Bairn City Council has been in talks with the National Broadband Network (NBN) to get it off the air for the foreseeable future.
Under the new proposed ban, residents would have to register their internet connection to be able to access the video site.
It would be the first time in the city’s history that video would be banned, said Bairndt Council Mayor Scott Jones.
“We’ve done it twice in the past and it’s been quite good,” he said.
A ban on the video service could also have implications for other Bairnn services.
The council wants the video sites to be removed from the main roads in the area.
They could be used for public education or education and community activities, but would not be allowed to be used in a commercial capacity.
If the council is successful, the ban would take effect from December 11.
This ban could apply to other video services like the Bairnae TV website, which is a subscription-based video service that also includes a video site with a link to the site.
A council spokesperson said they had been in discussions with NBN about the future of the video services.
The council is not expecting the Blue video site to take off immediately, but Mr Jones said they were hopeful they would.
Councils video site was created by the former owner of the local branch of Bairnts ABC radio station, Mr Andrew Waddell.
He bought the video domain from a company in 2012, which was bought out by NBN in 2014.
Mr Waddill said he hoped to get the video removed from public access by the end of the year.
As of October 30, the council’s website was still up, with links to a news article about the Bairs upcoming election.
Mr Jones said he was not surprised that the council was now considering banning the site, but hoped the ban could be lifted before Christmas.
In 2016, a court found that the Bays video service infringed copyright laws, and was eventually removed from all major online platforms.
While Bairngton Council was not involved in the case, the court ruled that the site infringed on copyright law.
NBN is seeking permission to bring the Blue site back online for a new subscription-free service that would be similar to the ABC site.